Wednesday, November 5, 2008

You Can do Whatever you Like/Election Night

Last night. Was Amazing.

I am not going to bore you with trying to do a post about how amazing the world is. How it’s a brand new day. First Black President and all. There are many other people doing that, and doing a much better job than I could.

I just have to say that I don’t know that I have ever or will ever feel the amazing power of love that was generated last night. Sam, JBee, I went to Side Bar to watch the results. Of course, we walked in at 10:02. Two minutes after the polls closed in California, but everyone was still on their feet, and we had heard the roars coming from the bars as we were walking.

I found an old friend from Waterloo and skeezed some seats from him after taking a shot of Hornitos at the bar. I immediately started crying as the camera panned through the crowd at Grant Park, then lingered over Jesse Jackson, looking like the Cowardly Lion as he finally got his heart from the Wizard. We all got our hearts back last night. And more than anything, we all got our pride back last night.

I had so much fun talking to strangers, hugging girls in the bathroom line, holding people as they sobbed, and putting my arm around one of my best friends as I see the tears of joy welling up in his eyes. Last night was one of the best nights of my life, and though I celebrated way too much (none of us had to work today, so we headed to Spill and drank some more), I remember (almost) every moment of it, and I will for the rest of my life.



2 comments:

eclecticdialectic said...

"then lingered over Jesse Jackson, looking like the Cowardly Lion as he finally got his heart from the Wizard"


thank you for posting this memory as I was so affected by it but might have forgotten otherwise. perfect imagery. sniffles.

Sinclair Fleetwood said...

I wish I could have been with you guys, it was truly an amazing night.