Monday, November 10, 2008

That's with an 'a,' not an 'e'

I was born in 1949, in Easton, Pennsylvania, about 70 miles Northwest of Philadelphia. When I was born, there weren’t much that preceded me. Our family was small, but proud. Only eight members in my parents’ generation, and that was both of their families. That changed pretty quickly, though. To say that they all got a little frisky around that “boom” time, well, that would be an understatement. I currently have 48 family members in my generation.

One of those other 47 is my brother, Blue. Blue may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, y’know, but he is the kindest, most loyal little brother a fella could have. He was born in 1958, and when mama got sick, he was the one to leave school early to help out. I was out trying to make a name in the fashion world in New York City around that time, in the 80s, and I just couldn’t see what was really important. Blue took that job at the factory that helped keep mama in our old house. That is, until they forced him to retire in August of 1990. Blue lives with me now. Blue helps me out, helps me take care of my little girl, Heather. Now that mama’s gone. Hers and mine.

I told ya we were simple, right? Well I left out the part that makes our family extra special. We actually had an Earl in our lineage. Of course, I never met the guy. He was born in the 1830s, so our introductions were off by about half a century or so. He seems to have left a big mark on the world, particularly in the culinary world. Maybe when I die, people will think I made a big mark on the world, too.

But that’s enough about me, little girl. Tell me about you. Oh, what? I told you all that about me, and never told you what to call me? The name’s Gray. It’s a pleasure to meet you.

source material

1 comment:

Art Thief said...

!!!!!!!!!!!
That's the sound of me clapping